CAT 2022 syllabus: If you are planning to appear for the upcoming CAT exam, you must be fully informed of its important topics.
IIMs do not release any official notification regarding the CAT syllabus. However, the majority of the questions in the paper are from middle school English and Mathematics. The intention is to check the conceptual clarity of the candidate. The main 3 sections of the CAT exam are Quantitative Aptitude, Logical Reasoning & Data Interpretation, and Verbal Ability & Reading Comprehension. Through this article, we will look at the syllabus for all sections of CAT 2022 exam.
CAT is a centralised MBA/PGDM entrance exam conducted by the old IIMs. Each year, one of the IIMs takes responsibility for administering the exam. Held in the month of November, CAT is designed to evaluate the candidate’s aptitude for management studies. Through CAT score, candidates can get admission to the IIMs and other reputed Business schools.
What is the Exam Pattern of CAT 2022?
CAT exam pattern has witnessed several variations over the last few years. Based on the changes made last year, the tentative exam pattern for CAT 2022 is:
- There will be 3 sections in the paper; Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR) and Quantitative Aptitude (QA).
- The exam will be held in CBT (Computer-based test) mode.
- The total duration of the exam will be 120 minutes, with sectional timing of 40 minutes for each section. Due to sectional timings, the candidates cannot move back and forth across the 3 sections.
- The total number of questions in the exam will be 66. The maximum marks obtained are 198.
- There will be two types of questions in the exam; MCQ and TITA (Type in your answer) type questions.
- For every correct response, 3 marks are awarded, and 1 mark will be deducted for every incorrect response.
The candidates need to keep the exam pattern in mind while preparing for CAT syllabus topics. It will help them to make effective study plans.
What is the syllabus for CAT 2022?
CAT 2022 syllabus is better understood by looking at the topics under each section. Since the exam aims to check the aptitude of the candidates, a fixed syllabus is not prescribed for the CAT exam. However, through analysis of previous year’s question papers, experts have prepared a list of all the topics included in each section. It is given below:
|Section 1: Quantitative Aptitude||Section 2: Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning||Section 3: Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension|
The above table can be used as a reference to prepare for the exam. Further, certain topics are given very high weightage and can prove really scoring, if you prepare them well. Have a look at these topics below:
Important Topics for CAT 2022
These are some of the important topics for the CAT 2022 syllabus:
|Sections||Important Topics for CAT 2022|
|DILR||Team Formation, Seating Arrangement, Clocks and Calendars, Venn Diagrams, Bar Graphs|
|QA||Geometry, Number System, Modern Maths, Arithmetic, Mensuration, Algebra|
|VARC||Para-jumbles, Para-Summary, Long & Short Passages|
How to prepare for CAT 2022?
Any entrance exam needs dedicated and strategic hard work. Similarly, being one of the toughest MBA entrance exams, CAT demands a lot of practice. For better results, your preparation plan must be well thought out and executed with dedication. However, the mode of preparation can vary for each candidate. Different options available for preparation are:
Enroling yourself in coaching classes, online or offline.
Procuring your material and self-studying.
Buying study material and test series from a reliable coaching class and preparing at your own pace.
Final Tips for CAT Preparation
All these ways of preparation have their benefits. You can choose any of these methods of preparation; just keep the following in mind:
- You should know the exam pattern and syllabus for the CAT 2022 exam well. Keep yourself updated by checking the official website for any updates.
- You must look for reliable study material. There is a lot of study material out there for CAT 2022 preparations. However, not all of them provide quality content. So be mindful while procuring your study material, whether online or offline.
- It would help if you had a study plan in place. It helps to estimate the time at hand, and accordingly, the topics can be covered. It is equally important to abide by the plan. Make sure you are not too ambitious with your study plan. Make a study plan keeping in mind your capabilities and other commitments.
- You must solve mock tests regularly. Start with 1-2 mock tests a week and gradually move to 3-4 mock tests a week. It helps to build a temperament for exams and check progress.
- Keep ample time for revision. Revision is as important as completing the syllabus. Revise important formulas, tricks, techniques, and concepts you struggle with.
- Read about and listen to the topper’s journey of preparation. If any of the strategies make sense to you, use them to prepare for the exam.
- Since CAT preparation demands persistent efforts, it is important to stay motivated. Indulge in self-motivating activities and keep on going.
Cracking the CAT exam won’t be difficult with an effective study plan and determination. For more tricks and tips for CAT 2022 preparations, read CAT Preparation 2022: How To Crack Common Admission Test 2022?