Viral infections can cause various complications and also prove to be fatal if not treated on time. Typhoid fever is an infectious disease and is caused by Salmonella Typhae. Typhoid fever is a communicable disease. It can easily spread from one person to the other through contact. In this case, water plays the vector, spreading the small mucus droplets containing the disease-causing bacteria.
As the disease can easily spread to other organs and become fatal in later stages, you must understand the major typhoid symptoms to quickly differentiate it from the common cold and flu caused by a virus. Since most people are unaware of these problems, we have illustrated the major signs and symptoms of this infection and how they can impact one’s health.
A person suffering from typhoid fever should get treated at a hospital run by Max Healthcare like BLK-Max, Nanavati Max Hospital and other well known hospitals. This will ensure that complications do not arise for the patient and other members of the family.
Causes of typhoid fever
Before we discuss the symptoms of typhoid fever, let’s learn about its causes so that you can have more clarity. Besides, you can also trace your path and check whether you came in contact with one of the causative events or not.
- Typhoid fever is a water-borne disease, and the bacteria can easily spread from one person to the other through contaminated food and water. For example, if someone is drinking contaminated water, they are likely to get the bacteria, and hence the disease. Similarly, when foods are washed or cooked using water contaminated with the bacteria, the person can easily get infected after consuming the food.
- Another major way in which typhoid fever can spread is through human waste. Often in developing countries, sanitation and hygiene are not well maintained. As a result, it gets difficult to prevent the spread of the disease, no matter what the condition is.
- Due to a lack of proper hygiene and sanitation, bathrooms (especially the local or public toilets) are infected with bacteria. If someone uses the toilets and doesn’t wash their hands properly, they can get infected.
- Sea and river water gets polluted due to human urine and excreta. Eating fish from these water bodies without cooking properly leads to typhoid fever infection.
- Another common way the salmonella bacteria spreads from an infected person to others is through milk. When milk is mixed with contaminated water and distributed to others, the bacteria can enter their system and cause the disease.
Signs and symptoms of typhoid fever
Now coming to the typhoid symptoms — usually, the incubation period is 1 to 30 days for typhoid fever. After that, you start seeing the basic symptoms, including fever, headache, runny nose, cough, etc. These signs are similar to the viral flu. Here is a complete list of typhoid symptoms you need to be aware of.
- During the initial days of the infection, you will have a light cough with no phlegm, recurring headaches, and localised pains. Usually, you will find it difficult to move your arms when exhausted.
- As the days progress and the infection spreads to other organ systems, the symptoms will worsen. You may also notice other symptoms. For instance, you will lose your appetite and experience nausea.
- With the disease progressing further, coughs will also become chronic, and you may have breathing problems. The condition further worsens if you have respiratory comorbidity like asthma, costochondritis, etc.
- Pain in joints and swollen muscles can be observed during the middle of the infection stage. However, at a later stage, the pain will worsen further, inhibiting your movements.
- Tiredness and fatigue are other notable symptoms of a typhoid fever.
When to see a doctor?
It is very difficult to differentiate between typhoid fever and common fever during the initial days. But after two to three days, you can easily know whether you are having typhoid symptoms or not. If it is positive, do not delay and immediately visit a doctor. You will be asked to undergo some medical examinations like hematology, lung scans, etc. Based on the results, the doctor will be able to decide what types of medicines will be suitable for you.
If you exhibit any symptoms of typhoid fever, do not ignore them. Immediately contact a doctor. Ignoring the symptoms can give rise to many other problems and may also result in the disease becoming life-threatening.
Max Healthcare is one of the leading hospital chains in India. Comprising the best doctors and medical infrastructure, Max Healthcare has successfully treated numerous patients showing symptoms of typhoid fever. If you suspect typhoid fever, contact a doctor at Max Healthcare.